Sunday, February 25, 2007

Dashed Dreams

I got all the parts I needed (CPU heatsink, case bottom, processor) for the pinmod on Saturday.

CPU Heatsink + Fan

Case Bottom

Processor


Saturday night, I took apart my laptop, replaced the bottom case, CPU heatsink and fan. Then I tried out the new processor at stock - no problems. Then I tried the pinmod, and ran it at stock voltage. It managed to boot, and I was very excited when I saw this:


That's the (Basic Input/Output System) BIOS detecting the processor running at 2.40GHz, a very good sign. Unfortunately, this would be the first and last time I would see this screen. Every other time I tried booting the computer, it would freeze during (Power On Self Test) POST. I even tried voltmodding the processor, but it didn't help.

I'm a little disappointed, but I was kind of expecting this. I feel like one of the people that didn't win on Beauty and the Geek when they say something like "It's alright that I didn't win the money, because I got a great experience out of this that's worth more than any amount of money." I guess I'm happy just to have seen 2.4GHz in the BIOS and not to have damaged any components in the process.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.