Saturday, April 12, 2008

Experiments in Weed Control

The rocky area next to my driveway is infested with weeds. I thought it would be a cinch to move the rocks, put in some landscaping fabric, and then move the rocks back. Of course, it's always harder than it sounds.

Three hours of backbreaking labor later, I'm not even a quarter of the way done. I discover the fabric is all used up, due to me greatly underestimated the size of the area. I also find that I need to buy more rocks in order to cover all the fabric, and I have no idea where to buy them.

There may also be a problem with the fabric. When I bought it I chose the one that said most durable or something of that nature, thinking it would be the best at stopping weeds. I didn't realize this would also mean that it would prevent water from seeping through. I guess I'll have to wait until it rains to see if I created a very large, shallow pool.

I probably should have just used roundup.